Now that winter has come to an end, it’s time to dust off those blinds and get ready to open up those windows! We’ve put together some window maintenance tips to help get you ready for the warmer weather.
- Clean the tracks. Clean window tracks of any debris to keep the weep holes free of blockage.
- Be smart about window coverings. Close drapes, blinds, or shutters on hot days to block out sunlight and open them on cold, sunny days to let it in.
- Save energy. Take care not to leave your windows open for significant periods of time when the HVAC system is operating.
- Let them shine. Clean interior glass with a premixed vinegar-based cleaning solution (1 part white vinegar to 1 part water) and a soft towel. Rinse with clear water.
- What not to do. Avoid using ammonia or alcohol-based cleaners, as they attract moisture and dirt. Do not clean in direct sunlight. Do not use razor blades, as they can scratch the glass and cause it to break.
Your dwellingLIVE account has even more information and maintenance reminders to help your windows look and perform their best.
Spring is officially here! That means it’s time to freshen up your home. Spring cleaning doesn’t have to be an all-weekend affair. For the weekday warriors out there, here are some tasks that you can squeeze into any schedule.
- Get ready to open up those windows. As it warms up, make sure your windows are ready to let in a fresh breeze. In addition to your regular cleaning, check the screens for any damage and clear off any dust or dirt that may have accumulated in the tracks.
- Freshen up your bed. Wash and put away your heavy winter blankets or quilts. Bring out your airy spring linens and maybe even treat yourself to a new pillow set.
- Clean out your closet. Are there sweaters weighing down your closet organizer that haven’t been worn all winter? Now is a great time to clear them out and donate them.
- Spruce up your décor. Whether it’s changing out your whole color palette or putting up some recent photos, give yourself something new to look at.
- Clean out your refrigerator. Check out our post, How to Deep Clean Your Fridge in 30 Minutes or Less here.
Always be sure to check your Maintenance Tasks on your dwellingLIVE portal to make sure you are keeping up with your home’s recommended maintenance.