Now that winter has come to an end, it’s time to dust off those blinds and get ready to open up those windows! We’ve put together some window maintenance tips to help get you ready for the warmer weather.
- Clean the tracks. Clean window tracks of any debris to keep the weep holes free of blockage.
- Be smart about window coverings. Close drapes, blinds, or shutters on hot days to block out sunlight and open them on cold, sunny days to let it in.
- Save energy. Take care not to leave your windows open for significant periods of time when the HVAC system is operating.
- Let them shine. Clean interior glass with a premixed vinegar-based cleaning solution (1 part white vinegar to 1 part water) and a soft towel. Rinse with clear water.
- What not to do. Avoid using ammonia or alcohol-based cleaners, as they attract moisture and dirt. Do not clean in direct sunlight. Do not use razor blades, as they can scratch the glass and cause it to break.
Your dwellingLIVE account has even more information and maintenance reminders to help your windows look and perform their best.
This month, we reminded you to deep clean the interior and exterior of your refrigerator. Here is a step-by-step guide on how to quickly tackle this important maintenance task.
- Take Everything Out. As you empty out the fridge, have three different areas to place items in. One area is for things going back in, the second is for containers that need to be cleaned out, and the third is of course the trash for items beyond salvaging. Also, remove or open your drawers for easy access for our next step.
- Spray, Spray, Spray. Using a solution of equal parts white distilled vinegar and warm water, spray the inside of the fridge, the outside of the fridge, and any containers that are going back in the fridge.
- Clean While It Soaks In. While the vinegar solution soaks in for a few minutes, clean any removable drawers with warm soapy water.
- Wipe it All Down. Use a clean rag to wipe everything down and dry it.
- Put Back the Keepers. Put your drawers back in the fridge, along with anything else that made the cut.
- Bonus! Vacuum your refrigerator’s coils to keep them dust-free and working more efficiently!
For more maintenance information, remember to log in to dwellingLIVE to view a searchable copy of your Homeowner Maintenance Guide and access your Manufacturer’s documentation.